Allowable Things To Bring Inside The Treatment Facility
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
What you can carry to rehabilitation is subject to clinics' severe regulations. These prohibited items will be outlined in a form before come in so you are aware.
Following your arrival at the treatment centre, you are required to check in and initiate the admission process. Part of the procedure is the inspection of your personal effects to make sure that there are no contrabands and other prohibited objects are smuggled in. All the details of what you came in with will be recorded in the patient property book.
Supplies are permitted in the therapy clinics. This policy though may differ from one treatment centre to another.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Get The Packing Information
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. You can check the FAQs if such packing information does not have a dedicated webpage. You can do your packing with packing specifications that some clinics provide. Contact your clinic's admission office if you don't find the material you need. They will be able to provide you all the answers to any questions you may have about what you can bring. If you have any doubts you will find all the answers and explanations before your admission.
What Most Rehab Centres Recommend You To Carry
The list varies from centre to centre.
For the better part, you are recommended to carry the following
- A list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of people you wish to have involved within your treatment [loved ones, healthcare professionals, twelve-step sponsors, etc.].
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- Other jewellery with no sentimental value should be left at home.
- An alarm clock.
- It is important to get in touch with the rehab clinic before as some of them provide these objects.
- You can also carry any prescription medications which you are presently using provided that they are in their original pharmacy bottle, and the original information from the label is intact.
- It is recommended that all liquid medications be newly purchased and sealed.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Your check book, credit card and debit card for the payment of treatment medications are also allowed.
- Identification information.
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- A notebook or newspaper.
- Envelopes or stamps in instances where you need to write and mail letters to friends and family.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- If you wish to carry reading materials for yourselves, you must understand that the subjects must only be on the recovery, self-help and spiritually oriented.
- Tip It is better if you bring paperbacks than hardcovers because they are lighter.
What Clothing You Can Carry
You need to be aware of what clothes are permitted in the rehab you are going to. You can prepare yourself by carrying a cloth that can be comfortable in all types of weather.
You have to bear in mind that the sizes of the rooms in the facility may not be as big as your room at home.
Attire for a week is sufficient as you should be able to wash your clothing in a laundry machine at your centre. Bring everyday clothes that require no special washing process.
You should bring weather-appropriate clothes for at least 7 days.
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday use, tennis shoes for activities/sports and flip-flops for the shower.
- Shirts For slightly revealing articles, you may bring cardigans or pullovers to cover it to avoid dress code policy issues.
- Pants Comfortable pants fit for any occasion
- Shorts They should not be too small; check your centre's dress code.
- A dress or two for any special events like appreciation or family night.
- A bathing suit; At least one.
- Bath robe.
- A hat it is possible that the centres may not allow hats indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products That Are Acceptable
Rehab centres require every toiletries and beauty products to be free absolutely from alcohol. There are other centres that will let you bring products that do not contain alcohol in the first three ingredients. Aerosols are not allowed.
You should be taking along 30-day requirements of toiletries and beauty products, including
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Feminine care products
- Shaving cream
- Body lotion
Items Not To Take To Rehab
A severe set of regulations and forbidden objects are present in every clinic. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery These are the screened contrabands
- Drugs and alcohol
- Sedatives or forbidden prescriptions
- Arms (pistols, blades, scissors, piercing objects, etc.)
- Unsuitable videos
- Food items
- Personal hygiene and beauty products that have alcohol (mouthwash, colognes, etc.)
- Electronic cigarettes of any form of vape.
- Unapproved or previously opened OTC medications.
- Volatile substances like nail polish or polish remover and the likes
- Video games and DVDs
- Sporting equipment
- Sexy or revealing clothing
- Ammonia, bleach, and other stuff used in cleaning
- Electronic gadgets
- Games and playing cards
- Incense or candles
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol or violence
Playing cards, games and movies may be surprising contrabands for you but rules are rules. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. During certain times, the centres itself will make the arrangements necessary to make items like these available to you.
Most centres don't encourage consumption of too much caffeine and sugar, and that's why outside food and drinks are prohibited. Three healthy meals, beverages, and snacks are provided by the centre. You will have to inform the centre if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies.
These Items Are Allowed By Some But Prohibited By Others
Each has their own rules and policies so do not expect that it is standard to all. The list below includes items that are permitted by some centres
- Smartphones and Laptops
- The laptops and pcs are restricted in some places while allowed in others depending on the rehabs policies.
- Just don't forget to take the charger with you.
- You may be allowed to smoke at some time.
- A limit to cartons available at these centres is usually established.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- OTC medications should be brand new.
- Chewing gum
- They shouldn't have been opened before.
- MP3 Player or CD Player
- You should not be able to access the internet with these device else it will taken from you.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Throwaway or Electric Razors
- Because there is risk of injury, many centres don't allow them.
- Disposable razors, however, are more often than not allowed.
- Nail Cutters
- It depends with the requirement in the facility.
- Additional Items
- Some centres allow you to bring your own pillows, bedding or curtains to make you feel at ease.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
What Will Happen To A Contraband That I Brought With Me
If you arrive at the centres with some prohibited items without realisation you do not have to remain concerned. In all likelihood, the centre will handover the item to the individual who accompanied you. Someone you trust can also come to pick them up from the facility. Other centres will just keep them for your and return the same once you have cleared the program and leave the centre.
If you are traveling from a distant location and are arriving by air it is likely that you will not have a loved one with you during the admission to take the prohibited items back. You are therefore recommended to call your rehab centres before you leave home to double check their policies. You will wish to have back your forbidden objects packed by error. In case the centre doesn't store them, request them to send the items to your home address.
Packing For Rehab Read and stick to the policies of your centre; in case of a doubt, call them up. Ask for a checklist whenever available so you can use as a guide. The best thing is to make sure that you have essential stuff with you.
Get Assistance Today
A number of treatment centres will allow you to bring certain things, which can make your life comfortable during the treatment. We can help you identify a rehab centre that will be effective for you.
Contact us now on 0800 246 1509 so we can match a centre to your needs.